Destination ImagiNation 2013-14 Challenges
DI celebrates problem solving skills, creativity, teamwork, and perseverance.
Interested in finding out more about DI? Attend an Open House at Town Center Elementary on Monday Sep 23, at 6 pm.
Unable to make the Coppell session? There are two more sessions planned-
- Sept. 24 – Bush Middle School, 515 Cowboys Pkwy., Irving
- Sept. 26 – Forestwood Middle School, 2810 Morriss Rd., Flower Mound
2013-14 Challenge Preview
(click for more information at destinationimagination.org)
Technical: Dig In (A)
- Design and build equipment to detect objects in their hiding places
- Use team designed and built equipment to take the objects out of their hiding places.
- Move objects across the finish line.
- Create and present a story about a technology that detects things a human cannot sense without help.
Scientific: Going to Extremes (B)
- Explore an Extreme Environment that exists in our universe.
- Present a Story about characters who adapt to survive in the Extreme Environment.
- Design and create Extreme Gear that is demonstrated by using Technical Methods.
- Design and create a depiction of the Extreme Environment.
Fine Arts: Laugh Art Loud (C)
- Research works of art created by artists who were born in a nation other than the team’s own
- Theatrically present a comic strip that is based on a work of art created by the artist from the nation
- Create three live comic strip panels.
- Create an ARTifact that is inspired by the work of art.
- Design and create a Caption Contraption for one of the comic strip panels.
Improvisational: Pandemonium (D)
- Create an original five-minute Improvisation Skit
- Develop the interaction between a character from the past and a contemporary character.
- Show how those characters work, using the time period, their occupations and skills, to deal with Pandemonium.
- Use stage makeup to create, develop, and/or enhance one skit character.
Structural: The Tension Builds (E)
- Build a structure that will be tested against two forces at the same time.
- Design a prop that will be assembled during your presentation. The prop’s parts must fit completely inside a measured space.
- Create a story in which tension is a threat to stability and is overcome in some way.
Service Learning: Pitch and Play (SL)
- Use the creative process to identify and select at least one real community need.
- Design and carry out a Project that addresses the real community need.
- Use Play to meet the goal(s) of the Project.
- Use a team-created Elevator Pitch to enlist at least one Community Partner.
- The team will create a live Presentation that features the Project.
Rising Stars(Early Learning): Circus! (RS)
- Create your own circus!
- Learn about circuses and the role of the Ringmaster
- Learn about balancing things
- Learn about geometric shapes
- Explore how your team works together to make decisions about the three acts of your circus performance.
Instant Challenge (IC)
- Require teams to engage in quick, creative and critical thinking.
- Each team will receive an IC at the tournament. They are kept confidential until the day of the tournament.
- ICs are performance-based, task-based or a combination of the 2.
- All ICs reward teams for teamwork and creativity.